Friday, November 12, 2010

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty


It was announced a few days ago that the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute will be celebrating the life and work of Alexander "Lee" McQueen next year. The retrospective will launch at the annual Met Ball in May of 2011 and will run until July 31.

Its pretty much a given to say that I am dying to see this exhibit- along with the rest of the fashion world. I'm very curious to see how the Met will showcase McQueen's legendary theatricality and emotional provocation. Its so sad to know that I will never be able to see a show put on by the late designer, as I can't imagine a more wondrous fashion event to experience in person, so I'll be damned if I miss this exhibition- even if I have to hitchhike coast to coast. The thing that compels me most is to see pieces from his graduate collection of which I have never seen photos.

It would be an understatement to call McQueen a trendsetter- I blame him for my love handles formed by almost a decade of sporting hip-huggers. And it was never his intention to see his concepts worn by the masses- that's just what happens when you are one of the most creative minds of a generation. He will always be one of my favorite artists and I'm still in awe when I see his creations after previously viewing them multiple times.

Here are some looks that I would love to see in person.





































These photos are in no particular order at all-- but it is interesting to see how they all flow regardless. Any one of his designs, had we never seen them before, could be presented to us tomorrow and be considered visionary and futuristic, even (or especially?) the ones from 2001.

And its pretty safe to say that I would be kicked out of the museum and asked never to return again due to my need to touch and feel all these garments. Sometimes just looking isn't enough, especially when it comes to clothes covered in feathers and metal. How the garment feels is just as important as how it makes you feel. And Alexander McQueen understood better than anyone the importance of having his clothes make you feel something.

No comments:

Post a Comment