Saturday, November 20, 2010

Boutiques.com

Google meets online shopping meets social networking..

Its so brilliant I wonder how the genius minds at Google didn't think of this sooner. Boutiques.com is a bit of the answer to the decline in retailing and rise in free online social and creative expression, ala Facebook and Blogspot (among others). I'm not much of an online shopper (maybe because at the moment I have about 36 cents to my name?) but I'm still very much into the idea of this website. Even if I did spend my clothing money at online stores, it probably wouldn't be through this site. I like the idea that it connects you in a personal way to the people who's style you admire, but I really hope this doesn't become the demise of personal style. It could easily become the porthole to help the masses "plagiarize" or adapt to other people's approach to dress, becoming the annihilation of individuality.
What I do like about boutiques.com, however, is that it is kind of like the GoogSpace (Google and Myspace's baby?) of the fashion world, where search is unlimited and tailored to the individual. I've just recently started to accept that search engines like Google know me better than I do, so Boutiques has come at a great time... even though it is really a trip to me that it can put together a more comprehensive idea of my style and likes than I can. I also love that you can view all your fashion faves- from bloggers' picks to the items you loved this season- all in a few clicks.. no memory required! (Which is really convenient for someone like myself, who can't remember ANYTHING, let alone a piece of clothing I drooled over on one of the hundreds of sites I visited that week). And just like everything else in the realm of technology, it makes me so anxiously excited for the future!

And yes, when I say future, I'm talking Jetson's-esque hovercrafts. I love imagining all that I will see in my lifetime... Oh, the possibilities!! And I'm speaking now of not only the future, but of the present reality that is the Googs and its Boutiques. I was born and raised in this technological age and I still can't believe how far it has all come and where it is going.

So exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment