Wednesday, January 5, 2011

City of Sand

A few days after Christmas I got the chance to go to Coronado for the first time. Coronado is a beautiful island about 20 minutes from Downtown San Diego, right across the bay and accessible by the famous Coronado bridge. My mom was visiting me from Hawaii and even though she was miserably freezing in this 65 degree weather (she's so spoiled!) she humored me by playing tourist. We took the Old Town Trolley tour which in my opinion is slightly overrated and when we got off near the Hotel del Coronado all I wanted to do was bask in the sunlight on the beach while all she wanted to do was bask in a warm room with a beer. Too bad for her, we headed straight for the beach. And even though we spent about 2 and a half minutes on the beach before heading back it was beyond worth it for me- I saw the most amazingly intricate sand castle I had ever seen. Really, it was more of a sand city, complete with thousands of windows, sets of stairs, and tiny little sand people. I'm now inspired to become a sand architect. Well, at least for a day.



In the background of the first picture is the Hotel Del Coronado, and in the second picture is my bundled-up mom. I kept trying to tell her that it really wasn't that cold but she wasn't having it.

1 comment: