Monday, January 17, 2011

New Year Reading List


For the last few weeks of my break from school I've found the time to rekindle my love of reading, and finally this morning I finished the 960-page journey that is Margaret George's Memoirs of Cleopatra that had me living in the time of Cleopatra the Great exploring the lands Alexandria and Rome. I became so immersed in the ancient world that I should probably cut this short in fear that I will never return to reality. Either way, I wouldn't even be able to describe in words how amazing this book is.

Now, on to the next one. Last week I bought two books from the 50cent shelf at the library, knowing that my journey with Cleopatra was coming to a sad end. I actually wasn't even thinking of taking home any books, but, just like any sale, I couldn't walk away from what I like to call the "hidden gems."

Tom Wolfe's The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby and
Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls

So now the question is: which to start first?

In one of my high school english classes a few years ago I was allowed to choose which books to read from a list, and so I spent the year reading Vonnegut, Kesey, and Kerouac, as well as Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. I'm excited to read this Tom Wolfe book, but I'm thinking it might be crazy transition from the traditional writing by George. Hmm... Valley of the Dolls, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment